Monday, June 13, 2011

Electricity

Well, it all began on a chilly spring day...Sydney was playing outside with her friend Kylie while I watched from my porch and Savannah and Xavier slept peacefully in the house. When Sydney and Kylie wandered into the neighbors front yard which is allowed~as they are allowed to play in the neighborhood as long as I can see them (also ok with the neighbors).   These neighbors slack on cutting the grass, so it is quite long, long enough for things to be unseen.  Sydney and Kylie bent down to look at something in the grass and Sydney just happened to kneel where there were live wires sticking up from the ground~they must have been from a lamp post that was pulled out. When all of a sudden Sydney screams like I have never heard her scream before, and Kylie backs away like she is going to get into trouble and kept saying "I didn't do it".  Sydney starts walking toward me trying to get words out and can't.   At first I thought a bee had stung her, because that was how she was describing it.  Then I saw her leg and was confused. I knew it wasn't dirt, and more than  a sting or a bite....then Kylie's Dad came over to check the area. People were flocking out of their houses, that's how loud she screamed to see what was going on. They found the wires and found a bucket to put over them so no one else would go near them.  I am not good in these situations and thankfully Kylie's mom was there to talk me through what to do and even what to say to the doctor.   I washed her leg off with soap and water to see what exactly had been burnt. Kylie's mom stayed with Xavier and Savannah and I took  Sydney off to the ER.
Sydney seemed to be in shock from the incident.  She wasn't talking much, not even really crying, just sitting.  Which if you know Sydney, that is not her at all!  We registered her in at the ER and then awaited the doctor.  We finally got called in about an hour and a half after we arrived. They did an EKG, took a urine sample, took 6 viles of blood, and kept her on the monitor~her blood oxygen level, heart rate, and respiratory rate.  Her heart rate was a little on the high side, but they said she should be alright.   She did such a great job, much better than I expected her to!   All her tests came back normal and she was released! 
The police and firemen were there at the house when I pulled up.  A police report was filed and because the renters of the home were not home they weren't able to turn off the electricity to those wires.  They will be back in the morning to chat with the renters in that house. 
I am just so very thankful that Sydney is alright!  This could have been a lot worse, and I don't know how I could have dealt with that!  God still wants me to have her, and as she says, she is the "little mommy" and tries to help so much!  She is just so sweet, has her moments like all kids, but she has a serving heart!
This is what Sydney's leg looked like minutes after it happened.  Before I cleaned it I figured I would take this picture for insurance purposes not just for scrapbooking as it will come in hand for that though :)


Hooked up to the monitors~brings back not too distant memories I thought I would never have to see for a while.  They were checking her heart rater because it was a little high.



5 comments:

  1. That is one of the scariest things I have ever seen/heard! People are so irresponsible it unbelievable, they are really lucky, the worst didn't happen. I can't believe it, I am sure it will be a nightmare night for many tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my heart skipped a beat reading this...oh my goodness. thank the Lord she is ok! wow! also, thank the Lord for great neighbors who step in to help when you need extra hands. the Lord was def watching your beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor girl! what a trooper. Glad she is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayed for you both many times last night. Sorry you had to wait a 1 1/2 to see the dr , that got my heart rate up! Can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this - because I saw you just the next day, right? :) So thankful nothing worse happened!

    ReplyDelete